[TowerTalk] Roller inductors

jacobsen_5 at msn.com jacobsen_5 at msn.com
Thu Mar 15 21:18:52 EST 2007

Hank,  W6SX is having trbl with his roller inductor:
"I recently returned to the air after an eight year absence.  The
roller inductors in my Nye MB-V-A and my Ten Tec 4229 antenna tuners
have corroded and are intermittent.  I have squirted contact cleaner
on the coils and rollers and run the rollers back and forth with no
improvement.  Does anyone have any suggestions?"

Hank,  I've found that simply squirting them doesn't do it. I spray the contact cleaner on a cloth and then hold the cloth against the inductor while rotating it back and forth. You won't believe the crud that comes off. I also clean the shaft that the little roller contact rides on and then apply a VERY SMALL amount of commercial no-alox type stuff on the shaft and then run the inductor from one end to the other several times to make sure the shaft is covered.

Good luck with your tuner.

73
K9WN  Jake