[TowerTalk] Rohn Crank Up Tower

jpk5lad at cox.net jpk5lad at cox.net
Mon Mar 19 14:48:45 EST 2007

Hi Ken --
The only crankup I remember Rohn selling was in the 60s
or 70s when Rohn bought out the Spaulding company.
They had a #6 crankup which they sold in 37' (2 section),
54' (3 section), and 71' (4 section) heights.  They were
advertised as "Light duty guyed" towers.

The thing which stands out in my memory was a full page
caution drawing of a person who had treated the crankup
tower incorrectly and it showed him holding out his hand
(perhaps it was both hands) with only stubs where fingers
had been.  It was in a catalog with almost no color but
that one had BRIGHT RED on the ends of the stubs.  It
left a definite impression on me about being careful
around crankup towers.

It was not made with welded rod stock like the heavier
towers but instead it had tubular legs and stamped metal
braces mounted horizontally (no Z braces).

Perhaps this helps a little.  Good luck in your search and
73,
Jim - K5LAD

On 19 Mar 2007 at 11:29, longrange2 at ihtw.com wrote:

> Is anyone familiar with or have information on Rohn crankups?  The
> tower in question is a 3 section crankup that is supposed to be
> similar to a Tri-ex LM354 or US tower HDX-555.  When were these made
> by Rohn?  Does anyone have a brochure, drawings, etc?  Thanks, Ken,

"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something
stupid to say and then don't say it." -- Sam
Levenson