[TowerTalk] MOVING A C3

TOMMY HALIBURTON ROCKETJ10 at MSN.COM
Mon Mar 26 08:45:11 EST 2007

Mark,

I live near Denver, Colorado. In 2005, I moved a C4XLD (Heavy duty C3 with a longer boom and 2 elements on 40 meters for a total of 9 elements) from Laramie, Wyoming to my QTH using a Ford Ranger with an extended cab (mini pickup). I broke the boom down, separated the total elements into halves, and taped everything together. I had purchased some nylon ratcheting tie-downs from Home Depot (about $14.00 for 4 tie-downs) and used them to secure to truck bed (Note well that the load hung over the cab). I drove better than 100 miles with no problems.

Procure some new rivets, get an antenna analyzer to assist in reassembling, and you should be good to go. My C4XLD is at 35 feet (I have 19 more feet available) and it works most everything I can hear on 40 through 10 meters with 150 watts.

I hope you have much fun and good luck.

Semper Fi,

Tommy - K6YE
DX IS