[TowerTalk] DX Engineering radial plate question

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 28 17:09:58 EST 2007

tnx vy much george & everyone for ur replies & comments to my question--much
appreciated.

73,

rob / k5uj

From: "Dubovsky, George" <George.Dubovsky at andrew.com>
To: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj at hotmail.com>,<towertalk at contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] DX Engineering radial plate question
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 08:38:20 -0400

Rob,

I don't know if anyone answered your question but, for the case you're
describing, it just doesn't matter. You are on the right track when you
started wondering about the small size of the plate relative to the
currents involved. If you were to actually calculate the resistance
differences, you would be in the realm of very small numbers. In fact, I
would offer that the differences between different bolted or clamped
connections to the plate likely are greater than the resistance
differences in the plate. The corrosion resistance of stainless vs other
"better" conductors appears to make it a good choice in this
ground-contact application.

73,

geo - n4ua

The
 > hardware is usually all copper with cadwelding and copper strap
bonding to
 > the tower matching network where the coax comes in.
 >
 > In my own counterpoise for my 160 m. inverted L, I use the well known
and
 > generally highly regarded DX Engineering radial plate.  This is well
made
 > and quite robust however I'm bothered by one thing--it is made with
 > stainless steel.   Compared to copper and brass, stainless steel is a
poor
 > conductor.  In fact, its conductivity is around 4% of the conductivity
 > value
 > of brass for example.  Before I put a sheet of copper over the radial
 > plate
 > and use the plate for physical ruggedness only, I thought I'd ask here
for
 > opinions -- is the DX Engineering radial plate a return path resistor?
 > The
 > fact that it is not particularly large may be a mitigating factor.
 >
 > tnx
 > rob / k5uj

 > 5.5%* 30 year fixed mortgage rate. Good credit refinance. Up to 5 free
 > quotes - *Terms

https://www2.nextag.com/goto.jsp?product=100000035&url=%2fst.jsp&tm=y&se
ar
 > ch=mortgage_text_links_88_h2a5d&s=4056&p=5117&disc=y&vers=910

this email is prohibited.
[mf2]