[TowerTalk] Radial connecting plates

Tod-ID tod at k0to.us
Thu Mar 29 12:13:59 EST 2007

 I found it convenient to use aluminum U channel, about 1.5 inches on the
sides and 2 inches on the bottom of the U. The channel stock is about 0.25
inches [too cold to go out and measure].

I used three pieces, each cut to fit between the tower legs. I drilled and
tapped 1/4-20 holes spaced about 3/4" apart in one side of each of the U
channels (that becomes the top of the piece). I use 1/4-20 1" SS bolts and
SS flat and split washers to hold the radials that start at the channel and
go out from the vertical. The three pieces are connected to each other and
to ground and fit between the legs of the tower and under the tower. As
Kn4LF mentioned, one can solder the radials to ring terminals that fit under
the 1/4-20 bolts. It is best to seal the solder-to ring terminal junction to
minimize corrosion. Placing more than one radial under a single bolt will
allow at least 30 per side and maybe more.

I view this as a convenience as well as a mechanically and electrically
sound method.

As usual, YMMV.

Tod, K0TO