[TowerTalk] qrounded antenna desgin question

Stone, Gary R. Gary.Stone at va.gov
Thu May 3 08:38:19 EDT 2007

Hi Bill and TT,

No responses Bill - and that is a surprise from this group :-)

OK guys - what do you think?  (also - is the Tennadyne antennas likewise
constructed?)

My original post:

> Greetings,
>

> I have been using the Cushcraft 8 element log for awhile (about 1
month)
> - see eham reviews (ASL2010) if interested.
>

> My question:  This log is a 'grounded' design it seems.  The back
> (longest) element is grounded to the boom which is of course grounded
> the mast / tower.  The other 7 elements are insulated from the boom
but
> of course connected to the back element.  My observation so far is
that
> it seems a bit less noisy than the few yagi antennas I have used.   Is
> that because of the 'grounded' design?  Will this also be a little
help
> with static crashes and perhaps even lightning?  Are most Log Periodic
> antennas designed like this?
>

> My Yagi antennas have always had at least the driven element insulated
> from the boom and some of them have had all elements insulated from
the
> boom.
>

> Gary, N5PHT

Gary Stone, BA, LCDC  J

     Case Manager, DSAP

       O  903 - 583 - 6411

Interesting question Gary. Please pass along any relevant responses you
might get. I too am curious.

Bill AD8P