[TowerTalk] Horizontal tower movement at the top

W7CE w7ce at curtiss.net
Tue May 8 10:37:00 EDT 2007

Gerald,
Thanks for the pointers to the engineering data.  That gives me exactly what
I need.  It also reminded me of an analysis that K7NV has on his website at:

http://k7nv.com/notebook/towerstudy/towerstudy1.html

I need to read it again in detail, but the baseline model in the study is
very close to my situation.  A quick glance indicats that movement of 6" or
so in a 90MPH wind might not be all that unusual.  It also reminded me that
putting the tower on a pier pin will reduce the stress on the base.  I'll
read the study more carefully and also do the calculations based on EHS
stretch.

I originally planned to use the 25G only as a ladder, but if I can also
mount the antenna to it, it will simplify the antenna installation.  I don't
think it should make much difference structurally since the tree and the
tower will move together.

Thanks again.

73,
Clay  W7CE