[TowerTalk] C31XR versus SteppIR ala K4XS/KH7XS

Cqtestk4xs at aol.com Cqtestk4xs at aol.com
Fri May 11 19:08:54 EDT 2007

In a message dated 5/11/2007 7:19:56 P.M. Greenwich Standard Time,
ChetMoore at cox.net writes:

I have  said for a long time than when I see a 4 El steppir at W3LPL, that I
will  get one for here.  I don't think LPL has a C31 either.

I think my FL station was a world class station (K4XS).  I had lots of
monobander stacks from 40 through 10, but I found room to stick up various
tribanders, from the so-so Cushcraft A-3, to the KT34X at different  heights.  The
KT43XS at 65 feet was especially useful and was fully  rotatable

Wish I could do the same thing here in HI, but land is expensive and there
are some liberal restrictions against towers.  The setup for one tower  needed
to meet several needs:

Ability to stack to hit various angles
Ability to cover contest all bands WELL (40 through 10) and the  ability to
cover WARC.
Cut down rain static, since it rain s a lot in Hawaii.

I looked at the various antennas and made my choice with the above
considerations as well as price and recommendations of users.  For me, like  almost
everyone, no antenna was perfect.....but the SteppIR seemed the way to  go.  Not
that I was sold 100% on the SteppIR concept, it just seemed to fit  MY needs
better.

It's like buying a car...same thing.  What one fits YOU best.   Toyota for
me, and maybe a Chevy for you.  SteppIR for me, and maybe M2 for  you.

Bill K4XS/KH7XS