[TowerTalk] stepir vs c31xr

Bob Schreibmaier k3ph at ptd.net
Sat May 12 09:29:53 EDT 2007

 >In a message dated 5/11/2007 11:11:44 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
 >towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:
 >
 >>  I will put my mosley ta-33 classic againt the 3 el ir or c31  force
 >12 any
 >day and come up big in many ways,here they are: #1 the mosley 33
 >classic is
 >650.00 shipped,my antenna get the same signal reports as the 3 el
 >steppir
 >every time,and maybe the c31xr has a small margin of gain over both
 >the IR and
 >mosley just because of it's much larger boom and more elements.now
 >here you
 >have two antennas which preform equally,the difference is the stepp
ir >cost
 >1700.00 thats 1100.00 more than the mosley,by the way my mosley is
 >around 30
 >year old in the air.Still working like new.Had to change the coax a
 >few times
 >and clean the traps which were really clean anyway.so you make the
 >decision own
 >an antenna that does not require a tuner in line but will  definatley
 >have
 >service issues in 5-10 years(How much is a motor?)or a mosley  you put
 >up and
 >forget its there for 30+ years and save the 1100.00 towards a  new amp
 >or
 >vacation.I rest my case..
 >

 >    But not very convincingly.
 >
 >    According to our yagi comparison report, here are  the published
 >REPEATABLE gain results of the C3 and the TA-33:
 >
 >                20M    15M    10M
 >C3           3.3        4.3    2.7
 >TA-33      1.2        2.3    1.3
 >
 >    At least this Mosley had gain, albeit not much;  the other Mosley
 >PRO
 >antennas we tested had NEGATIVE gain on some bands.
 >
 >Cheers,
 >Steve      K7LXC
 >Champion Radio Products
 >Cell: 206-890-4188

I have that report and believed what it said,
until I looked at the SWR curves in the back.
Judging by the SWR curves, at least on 10 meters,
there was something wrong with the test antenna.
So, the test results are questionable, at best.

With regards to the previous poster, I think
he mislabeled the antenna.  Given that he quotes
the price as $650, I suspect he is actually
talking about the Mosley CL-33, which has an
18-foot boom.  The TA-33 has a 14-foot boom.

A couple of years ago, W3MF and I used a borrowed
CL-33 in the ARRL DX contest phone (thanks, George!).
Came in sixth place M/S.  Never did that before;
haven't done it since.

The antenna works pretty well.

73,
Bob