[TowerTalk] Rohn BPC25G

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon May 14 12:12:28 EDT 2007

At 08:18 AM 5/14/2007, Gary Schafer wrote:

> [...]

Another problem is that the coefficient of expansion of the bar and
the concrete is different, so temperature cycling will eventually
result in a very thin gap between concrete and rod.  Aside from
providing a path for dissolving the concrete away, if there IS a
lightning hit, the steam in that gap can flash to steam, fracturing
the concrete.

I can't find the reference right now, but there's a fairly complete
analysis of cases where lightning hit something anchored into
concrete where the concrete was damaged (typically some form of
spalling), and in most cases, the actual damage was attributed to
steam explosions (based on the fracture characteristics).

In order to get lightning damage, there has to be some mechanical
force created by the current.  The rebar itself or the concrete won't
materially expand during the stroke, and the magnetic forces, while
impressive, are hardly high enough to actually exceed the yield
strength of either concrete or copper or steel. The conductivities of
all of these are high enough that they are unlikely to actually melt, either.