[TowerTalk] HBDX 48

larryjspammenot@teleport.com larryj at teleport.com
Mon May 14 18:17:52 EDT 2007

I just looked in my Rohn Ham Tower Catalog, and for the BX/HBX/HDBX towers, it says:
"NOTE: ANTENNAS DEVELOPING A LARGE TWISTING MOMENT DUE TO WIND MUST NOT BE USED ON THIS TOWER. ANENNAS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO THOSE HAVING A MAXIMUM BOOM LENGTH OF 10 FT."
Then it repeats the 10 foot boom length limitation note on the next page.

I saw the twisted remains of an overloaded HDBX48 tower not far from here a few years ago. It wasn't pretty. I'm giving serious second thoughts about re-using my HDBX48 at my new QTH, except maybe for some small 2-Meter yagis or a 10-Meter Ground Plane. As difficult as it is to climb, even with steel shank boots, I may just go with something different.

LJ