[TowerTalk] Got a tower/antenna in a CC&R subdivision?

TOMMY HALIBURTON ROCKETJ10 at MSN.COM
Mon May 14 21:25:21 EDT 2007

Tim et al,

It can be very nerve racking to find a newer home, sans HOA/CC&R, affordable (affordable is the buzzword) and able to support a modest tower/antenna configuration (especially in metropolitan portions of California).

I wanted to stay in California after retiring from Verizon. My XYL, KD6PYK, wanted a newer home but not deplete our 401Ks before. In addition, she has respiratory issues that were heightened by Los Angeles' premier smog. We decided on Colorado and told three realty agents that the home could not have HOA/CC&R or anti-tower/antenna ordinances.

To be sure, we drove through numerous neighborhoods with either a "COVENANT PROTECTED" or "A COVENANT NEIGHBORHOOD" sign at the entrance. The agent drove past each one. After looking at a plethora of homes, we found "the one." The total time was one week and perhaps we were lucky. I went to the City/County Planner to insure I would not have problems. Our home is 12 years old, 5,500 SFT, 1/4 acre, and has nearly all of the amenities XYLs desire. Every home in the tract is both unique and a custom build. My modest Hy-Gain HG-54HD tower went up in 2005 with a Force-12 C4XLD, plus a sloper, and I am elated.

For me, it did not make sense to choose a restricted home and hope for the best. It may take a lot of patient looking but if one is armed with a highly competent realty agent, the desired home can be found. Whatever you do, do not compromise or you will be miserable. Good Luck!

Semper Fi,

Tommy - K6YE
DX IS