[TowerTalk] 3 element or 4 element beam

Bill Turner dezrat at copper.net
Tue May 15 13:03:37 EDT 2007

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Tue, 15 May 2007 09:50:20 -0700, "Al Williams"
 <alwilliams at olywa.net> wrote:

>I am aware that a 1 db difference in audio is barely
>noticeable.  However, as I understand, Force12 claims that a 1 db gain on
>the desired signal can cause the automatic gain of the RF to help in
>addition to the 1db audio difference?

The only function of the automatic gain control (AGC) circuit in your
receiver is to maintain the audio output at a more or less constant
level so you don't have to ride the volume control constantly. It has
nothing to do with improving signal to noise ratio or anything of the
like.

I don't know what Force 12 said exactly but there must have been some
misunderstanding there somewhere.

Bill W6WRT