[TowerTalk] A subtle question

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Thu May 24 20:22:03 EDT 2007

In a message dated 5/24/2007 9:03:34 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  When I first asked myself this question, I thought the  answer was "it
probably doesn't matter", but after a while I wasn't so  sure. Perhaps
you can help. Here it is:

>  I use a full body  harness when climbing, and also I wear a lineman's
belt. The belt is the  kind with two D-rings on each side for a
positioning lanyard. The body  harness has a single D-ring in the back
for a double-lanyard fall  arrestor.

>  My question is, which should go on first? In other  words, is the
lineman's belt worn on top of the body harness or underneath  it? As
long as there is no emergency, it probably does not matter, but  what
if there is? Is there a best practice, and why?

Hiya, Bill --

    I would put the harness on first and then  the lineman's belt (also
called generically a safety belt). The reason  being that if you ever have to take
advantage of your fall arrest harness's  purpose in life (i.e. catching you in
case you ever peel off of a tower),  you don't want anything under the
harness as it will put even more pressure on  those parts of your body where the
belt is. If you've ever hung in a FAH,  you'll quickly get the picture. Hanging
in a FAH is potentially life  threatening - don't add to the problem.

>  If this has been discussed before, please forgive me but I  don't
recall it. All comments welcome.

    It's one of those rare NEW  TOPICS!

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC