[TowerTalk] Air Core Choke Baluns

Brent Childers w5ww at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 1 14:40:08 EST 2007

To All,

I was reading about Air Core 1:1 Choke Baluns on this page:

http://www.hamuniverse.com/balun.html

One thing caught my eye.

"The coil winding must not be placed against a conductor."

This caused me to think about how I had attached the choke baluns on my existing antennas.  Usually I would tape the outside of the balun directly to the boom ahead of the driven element.

Three questions:

1. Is the statement in regard to not placing an air core choke balun against a conductor true?
2. If so, what are the ramifications?
3. Should I be mounting the balun to my antennas using a different method?

If someone could point me to a proper reference, or provide their experiences would be appreciated.

73 - Brent