[TowerTalk] Takeoff Angles and Non-Reciprocal Propagation

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Sat Nov 3 01:00:48 EST 2007

Unless I'm using the term incorrectly (certainly a possibility), a
directional coupler routes signals leaving Port A to Port B, whereas
signals leaving Port B in the reverse direction end up at Port C ... not
Port A.  As far as Ports A and B are concerned, I don't think we have
reciprocity.

You say that non-reciprocal propagation (recognizing that neither of us
is referring to the ionosphere here) is impossible even taking into
account diffraction.  If diffraction happens to cause energy to take a
different path in the return direction than it took in the outgoing
direction, why is non-reciprocal propagation not possible?  Please
explain without simply saying it is impossible.

I myself have tried to rely on an optical analogy in attempting to
reason this through, but we're not talking about light passing through a
uniform medium here ... we're talking light diffracting around an edge.
The mechanisms are totally different.  An edge disperses single
wavelength energy ... a prism does not.  An edge can look entirely
different from one side than from the other (picture a half-cylinder),
and light passing across that edge will refract and disperse in a manner
that is a function of the radius of curvature seen by the wave.

By the way, I've tried to contact N6BV to see what his take on all of
this is but so far I haven't gotten a reply.  The "manual" he wrote to
accompany HFTA, however, includes some fairly intricate diagrams of the
ray combinations that are included in the program calculations and it is
very hard to believe that energy in the reverse direction would sum at
the antenna in the same manner it left when taking into account
asymmetric terrain.  In any case, I would certainly defer to his
expertise on the subject if we are lucky enough to hear from him.

Dave   AB7E