[TowerTalk] congrete filled steel for tower base

KLM cassrvp at telus.net
Sat Nov 3 10:32:39 EST 2007

Hi all, I have a tr ex 51' crank up I am going to srrect. I live a long way from any concrete supply and am looking for a way around the big expense of delivery. Earlier, I salvaged  a large steel tube 24" across with 5/8" walls by 20' long. from another project. It is already filled with concrete. My plan is to auger a 24" hole in the ground as deep as possible (6 to 8') , cut the tube,  insert it and use it for my base. I would weld brackets  directly to the 5/8 plate on the top to bolt the legs to. I could mix enough concrete for a shallow pad  around it. What do you think of this idea? the tower would be directly grounded through the tube right into the water table. Is there a concern for lightning strikes in the base or any other potential problems anyone can see? It would certainly be grounded well ! ...any guidance appreciated.

TNX in advance
Ken