[TowerTalk] Takeoff Angles and Non-Reciprocal Propagation

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Sat Nov 3 15:06:44 EST 2007

Mike, thanks again for the reply.

Yes, I fully agree with your description of reciprocity below.  No argument.

In the context of a radio signal traveling both directions between two
points, however, that isn't quite the situation we have.  The wave
leaving A gets diffracted and dispersed into a bunch of waves as it
passes over a terrain feature (surface), but (for the sake of argument)
only one of them leaves at the proper angle to propagate through the
ionosphere to arrive at B.  When B sends a return wave back down that
same path, and it arrives back in the vicinity of A (presumably at the
same angle), it arrives as a single wave ... not the collection of waves
that comprised the original wave.  So for the single wave coming from B
all bets are off, and it sees what it sees ... which for an asymmetrical
feature might look entirely different (relative to a wavelength) from
the B side than what the original signal saw from the A side.  That
would result in a different diffraction pattern for the waves continuing
on in the direction of A.

I think I'll still work up a diagram ...

73,
Dave   AB7E