[TowerTalk] Yaesu - 2700 and 3800 rotors

Peter Chadwick g3rzp at g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 5 12:51:25 EST 2007

Dale said:
>I can only say I've replaced more incandescents (>10)
than LED's (0) due to simple burn out in the equipment. <

The  incandescents I've replaced in the last 20 years were ones run without surge protection in Yaesu equipment, and some in a boatanchor receiver that I was restoring that hadn't failed but had evaporated a fair amount of filament onto the glass. Theyw ere only 45 years old.  In my home brew equipment, no failures in that time. Now this may well be because I use series resistors and so minimise the switch on current surge, as well as purposely under-running the bulbs by about 10%. In the same period, I've had 3 tube failures (one of them was WW2 5R4GY!) and some 17 transistor/IC failures.
Of course, not all semiconductor 'failures' are. Many years ago now, a customer returned 6 brand new ICs from a batch which he said, all failed. The failure was 'no function, logic levels wrong'. However, the device in question was an analogue AM/SSB detector chip....... and they worked perfectly to the correct test spec in the correct test fixture.
73
Peter G3RZP