[TowerTalk] Testing Yagi's Near Ground

Bob Selbrede, K6ZZ k6zz at ccis.com
Wed Nov 7 21:01:29 EST 2007

Hello TT'ers,

How far above ground (poor to average quality ground) does
an HF Yagi need to be before ground effects no longer
significantly effect SWR measurements?  Is there a good rule
of thumb that works most of the time?  I assembled a
Cushcraft XM-240 this past weekend and would like to
check/verify the settings before installing it and thus
avoid repeated trips up and down the tram!  If I tune it
while mounted on a 30' tower trailer how much is the SWR
likely to change when I run it up to the 115' level?

As a data point, I set it for CW (7025 KHz) and checked it
on the saw horses.  The minimum SWR point was about 6390 KHz
which sounds about right from past experience.  I was able
to prop the driven element up at about 15' and the minimum
SWR point went up to about 6950 KHz.

TIA, Bob K6ZZ