[TowerTalk] [Antennas] Carbon Fiber Boom

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sat Nov 10 03:13:37 EST 2007

> Google Carbon Fiber Tubing, and you will get a lot of vendors who can
> probably deliver
> carbon fiber tubing from stock.
>
> However, thinking it through, I bet you open whole new tricky
> materials/design problem.  Carbon fiber
> probably demands special methods of attachment, drilling, fittings, UV
> resistance, etc,  different from aluminum,
> in the boom/ antenna application.

Carbon fiber composit is quite easy to work with.  In general you treat it
like working with fiberglass composits except it's dirtier<:-)) (a LOT
dirtier). Typical construction depends on both individual and cloth fiber
orientation plus resin.  It's light and strong, but *usually* is laid up in
conjunction with either fiberglass, Kevlar (TM), or both. Like fiberglass
composits you can easily drill  and machine it, but I've never seen it
drilled and tapped. Like fiberglass it's easy to shape in construction, but
remember it is composed of carbon fibers and resin which means every time
you sand it you end up with graphite all over the place so cleanliness is
important.

As for constructing a boom it could be individually constructed for strength
with the majority of the fibers laid out linearly along the length of the
tube with a layer(s) wound to add structural ingegrity. The radial lay-up
can also be replaced with carbon cloth with the fibers oriented on the 45
degree bias. At any rate the boom would be constructed much the same as the
main spar in a wing be it fiberglass or carbon fiber and resin.

The horizontal stabilizer on the plane I'm building (Glasair III) is mainly
carbon fiber and resin with a high density fiberglass cloth overlay using
Vinylester resin for both the carbon and fiberglass bonding.

I fly the forerunner of a Beech F-33 Bonanza (top speed 225 MPH and gross
weight = 3100#.)  The strenght of the stab I'm building is so much stronger
than the F-33's horizontal stab it's difficult to compare them.  I've seen a
240# man bring his fist down on the stab I'm building and barely even shake
the plane.  If you did that on the F-33 it'd demolish the stabilizer and
possibly do damage to the entire empenage.  Until you've spent time working
with both materials from a comparative approach it's difficult to grasp the
difference in both strength and weight.

If I had the funds and access to the proper size tubing, I'd not hesitate to
go with a carbon fiber boom. Actually I'd like to find the stuff at a price
I could afford so I could build a number of antennas using it.

One thing to remember though: Both fiberglass and carbon fiber composits
must be protected from UV as both are quite susceptible to damage from it.
Another is something hitting an aluminum boom hard enough to dent it leaves
a dent. Something hitting a carbon fiber boom hard enough to leave a dent
will leave a crushed spot with little or no structural integrity which is
why you often find Kevlar and or fiberglass in the mix.

BTW if we are going to talk about these esoteric materials, there is a new
composit being talked about that consists of  aluminum fibers and resin. IOW
a new advanced composit using Aluminum fibers. I've never seen it, but there
was a recent thread on rec.aviation.homebuilt that had some links to
information.  Those are no longer on the server, but should be in the
archives or available on a Google search.

Of course going one step farther there are the carbon nano-tubes but I think
that material is a long way from becoming comercially viable and affordable.

Another interesting material is filaments made of Tungsten Carbide and what
kind of a composit you'd end up with there. <:-)) I've worked with the
equipment for making them but never seen them used in a composit.

73

Roger (K8RI)