[TowerTalk] Unidentified Tower

William Simpson wpaulsimpson at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 12 15:00:20 EST 2007

Hi. I'm new to the forum. I recently purchased an old tower from a lady and it has no name and no base plate. The tower is 40' tall with a second 40' section telescoped inside. It has a ratchet attached to it to raise the inside section up to what I assume is a total extended height of approximately 80' although it might technically only be intended for 75' or so. It is built like a triangle with each tube being approximately 1.5" to 1.5" outside diameter and the whole face of each side being approximately 12" wide. It seems to be made of galvanized steel. I cannot see where there are any bolt holes at the bottom of the three tubes so it may have just slipped over some protuberances on the base plate or someone may have just sawed the bottom off. It doesn't like it though. This unit was designed to fold over down to the ground for easy maintenance and it has a rather large hand winch on a pole laying on the ground with it. The guy connectors on the tower are large nuts
 welded on. The top of the tower is built for a rotor to be nested into it and I am told by Norm's rotor service that the rotor that was on this thing is pretty old and was probably intended for light antennas only.
  The tower looks to be at least 10 or 15 years old and could possibly be much older than that although it shows very little rust except on the cables. It also has a fail-safe type hand operated safety catch that prevents the top section from falling if the ratchet-up winch fails.The bracing holding the three tubes together looks kind of like a Z and is composed of some type of approximately 3/8" steel rod bent and welded to the tubes. Most of the cables attached to this thing are approximately 3/16",including the guy wires. I have searched the archives and haven't found anything directly on point although I did see a picture on some post somewhere of what was described as a Hy-Gain collapsible tower for sale that closely resembled mine.  My questions are:
    1. Name of manufacturer
    2. Installation info. Specifically:
        A. Height of horizontal to vertical hand winch off the ground.
        B. Height on tower that said winch cable attaches.
        C. Distance of base of said hand winch from base of said tower base.
        D. Total acceptable height tower can be raised to.
    Thanks in advance,
    WPAUL