[TowerTalk] Tower height allowed...

Tim Duffy K3LR k3lr at k3lr.com
Thu Nov 15 14:07:45 EST 2007

Hello Dino!

There is no limit on using an antenna exceeding 200 feet in height for
Amateur Radio. The fact that it was an old broadcast antenna does not matter
either.

I hope the abandoned tower (if it exceeds 200 feet or is less than 200 feet
but is close to a public use airport) is still properly lit, marked and
filed with the FAA and registered with the FCC as is required. That is the
real question. If it is not in complacence with FAA marking and FCC
registration rules, then I would suggest you stay away from it.

Amateur Radio stations KC1XX, W8JI and K3LR (probably others as well) all
have towers exceeding 200 feet and all have filed with the FAA and FCC
pursuant to the rules and regulations. These towers are also marked and lit.

73!
Tim K3LR

http://www.k3lr.com