[TowerTalk] DIN Connectors You Can't Solder To

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Nov 17 11:46:00 EST 2007

Tower Talkers,

I just received a couple of ICE switchable bandpass filters that I
ordered 3 months ago, and quickly began wiring cables to interface
them to band decoders. That operation came to a screeching halt when
I couldn't solder to the DIN connectors that came packed with the
filters. The pins don't take solder (AT ALL), AND the holder for the
pins melts. I'm using thin 60/40 solder and a nice temp controlled
iron.

I've run into these connectors before -- I have a half dozen that I
bought from RF Connection 3-4 years ago, and gave up on them when I
tried to use them. I ended up buying replacements from a ham store
that were sold through the Yaesu or Kenwood distribution chain.

First, take this as a warning to avoid these connectors. Second, take
this as a question as to who makes the GOOD connectors of this type
(yes, I know "good" and "DIN" don't go together). These are the 8-pin
connectors that Yaesu uses for band data.

73,

Jim K9YC