[TowerTalk] Shunt Feed Help

W5LT W5LT at tx.rr.com
Sun Nov 18 10:51:49 EST 2007

Kim:
I question the accuracy of the impedance measurement. If it was an accurate
value at the base of the tower, you should have found a good match at around
200pfd of series capacitance.
Z = R+jX = 65 + (+445-Xc) = 65 + (445-445) = 65 Ohms resistive.
Then: VSWR = 65/50 = 1.3

Try measuring again with a different type of instrument. You may be getting
some BC interference to the measuring instrument (quite common at 160m). I
use the AIM4170 from Array Solutions for all my antenna measurements and
find it quite accurate, even with BC interference.
73s

Bob, W5LT