[TowerTalk] Radial installation machine (homebrew)

Bill Cotter n4lg at qx.net
Sun Nov 18 15:10:16 EST 2007

Several years ago, a fellow ham here in KY was figuring out how to
get hundreds of radials under his array. He didn't want to lay them
on the surface, and have the grass 'absorb' them, but rather he
wanted them in the soil an inch or two. He had no intention of
plowing or trenching by hand, so he figured out a clever design of
a radial installation tool.

What he did was to purchase a cheap electric 'skil saw' from
K-mart, and installed a carbide blade. He built a wooden frame that
held the saw, a roll of #16, a steel guide tube, wheels and weights.

He attached the wire exiting from the steel tube to the vertical
element, and would pull this contraption away from the radiator to
it's final distance. The reel of wire played out through the steel
tube that followed in the cut trench. At the end, he simply snipped
the wire, and started over with the next radial.

It sounds dangerous, but from what I saw it was very controlled
cutting, placement of the wire, and the weight of the machine kept
the blade in the ground a good three inches.

73 bill n4lg