[TowerTalk] Generator (natural gas) and lightning

Commtekman at aol.com Commtekman at aol.com
Wed Nov 21 15:10:02 EST 2007

Scott-
For what it's worth, I am a retired  senior microwave technician and I
maintained microwave sites across three  States, all on mountain tops. Several sites
had no commercial power and we had  four generators there, one for a spare
and three that ran eight hours at a time  and then switched automatically to the
next one. The propane tank was very large  and held about 3000 gallons. All
posts of the chain link fence were grounded, as  well as all propane tanks,
each leg of the 130 foot tower and they were all tied  together in a grid. Some
mountain sites we had to install a chemical ground, as  an earth ground was non
existant. We did not have direct lightning strikes to  the site, although I
did find a direct lightning strike about 100 feet away at a  site in Nevada.
My 2 cents worth.

Bob K6OSM