[TowerTalk] How about a suggestion for a good winch to use on a TX-472??

John Ammeter jammeter at cablespeed.com
Tue Nov 27 22:43:28 EST 2007

I've just put up a used TX-472 tower.  I'll be putting a SteppIR antenna
on it plus a 2M/440 omni and an 80 Meter inverted Vee wire antenna.  I
live at the top of the hill and we occasionally get some pretty strong
winds.  I want to lower the tower whenever strong winds are forecast but
the "armstrong" winch may get a bit bothersome really soon.

So.... I hope to replace the winch with an electrically driven winch.
The one sold by US Tower cost over $1500 and I'm not too enthused about
spending that much.  One thought I've got is to use a Fulton KW3000 worm
drive winch and use my Milwaukee 1/2" drill to drive it.  Has anyone
used this winch and what are your thoughts about it?  Or... do you have
any other ideas?

John KE7JGB