[TowerTalk] 160m Vertical

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Oct 3 09:22:36 EDT 2007

On Wed,  3 Oct 2007 07:23:11 -0400 (EDT), donovanf at starpower.net wrote:

>My opinion -- FWIW -- is that all of Steve's perceived problems derive
>from using inappropriate test equipment for measuring the impedance of
>a full size 160 meter vertical.  There's no apparent problem in any
>aspect of the design of Steve's antenna, although there are a few small
>compromises that we all make, but they should have little effect on the
>results.

I agree. I came to the same conclusions on the basis of what I read, and did
a quick NEC model that confirmed the results others recently posted.

Any decent antenna tuner ought to load it. My Ten Tec 229 and 238 tuners
certainly will. I suggest that the original poster run some RG8 from the
antenna to the shack, add the tuner, and call CQ. It should work just fine.

73,

Jim K9YC