[TowerTalk] GAP Voyager failure

KI9A at aol.com KI9A at aol.com
Sat Oct 6 09:56:51 EDT 2007

Guys-

I know the big Voyager has mechanical issues, according to some, but, I was
raising one that was up at a previous QTH for about 4 months, with no ice
storm,  or wind storm damage.

While walking it up, about 3/4 up, the coupler between the lower & mid  masts
failed, and broke in 2.

Luckily, the only other damage was a slight bend on one of the tuning rods,
and a little bend on the cap hat.

Anyone ever hear of a failure at that point of the antenna? Seems weird it
would fail there and not higher in the mast, where there seems to be a much
larger load.

73-Chuck KI9A