[TowerTalk] Inverted L for 160 Meters

Lee Buller k0wa at swbell.net
Mon Oct 15 17:42:49 EDT 2007

Very interesting 160 discussion going here.  I also use something similar, but use my tower to pull up about 60 feet of wire...then slope it down to a tree in the front yard over the house.  The key is "the radials- counterpoise - etc"  I used about 20 wires on the ground (and they do self bury quite nicely) in a half-moon configuration beceause I did not have a way to run them through the house (YL gets pissed when I do that).

Works pretty darn good.  I made my length about 140 feet and then use a simple L/C tuner to make it look good to the radio.  Actually, it is a little to long and resonates around 1750 instead of 1800.  You will find that the more radials/counterpoise you put down the bandwidth seems to get narrower....but you get better radiation.

I've also used a couple of "raised" wires coming off the ground side of the tower and run then along the wood fence.  Elevated radials seem to affect the antenna but I cannot remember off had why.

Lee - K0WA

In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find any Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is Common Sense divine?