[TowerTalk] Top loading HF-6V for 160

steve kw3a at snip.net
Fri Oct 19 11:21:23 EDT 2007

Hi TT'ers,

A few years ago I bought a used Butternut HF-6V vertical  to use as a
secondary antenna.  it came with the 160 meter kit, which is a large coil
and ceramic caps  that mounts at the base.

I'd like to use  it for 160 only this season.

Base of antenna is 8 feet above ground, mounted on a chain link fence.  Top
is about 34 feet.  I can run a  single wire from the top of the antenna to a
point 80 or 90 feet away.  The wire would have to slope down to a height of
12 feet or so at the far end
  I could shorten the wire and that way keep it higher above ground, but is
there any benefit to any of this?

Not expecting a giant killer, just a second antenna to my shortened dipole
for 160.  Ground on the vertical is modest,  a couple of elevated  wires for
40, 20, 15, 10.  A single 8 ft.  number 8 wire running to a ground rod to
which a few random length wires are run  along the ground.  I can also tie
in  the chain link fence and a large (14x21) aluminum awning.

So again, any good from top loading this?  Or just put the 160 meter coil on
and whatever it does, it does?

73, Steve KW3A