[TowerTalk] CFL lifespan

Jim Hoge knowkode at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 31 11:38:39 EST 2007

Greetings,

  I cannot attest to the modern cfl lifespan but I have a pair of Philips SL 18/27 still in use. I won these at a parade of homes 20 years ago. I would agree that the color has warmed over the years but that isn't backed by testing, just my two cents. These bulbs take a bit to come to full output, just as they did when first put into service. One final note, I have read that flouresent bulbs have a large energy surge at onset, similar to that of a motor so use in a circuit that is frequently cycled on and off won't see much energy savings and will shorten the life of the bulb. BTW, my bulbs are in a utility room above the washer and dryer.

  73, Jim W5QM