[TowerTalk] Setback requirements

Phil Jung k9pj at b2xonline.com
Sun Sep 2 14:40:43 EDT 2007

Under current provisions in the Franklin County VA code, (a mostly rural low
population density area) the setback requirements are 120% of the tower
height as well as 500' from the closest  neighbors dwelling.  Most
surrounding counties have reasonable codes, and the state code is very ham
friendly, but so far this has not influenced the local ordinance.  While the
verbage clearly suggests it was written with cell phone towers in mind,
amateur radio towers are  being included in enforcement proceedings.  Appeal
and legal fees are mounting with no end in sight.

Phil, K9PJ