[TowerTalk] name that antenna

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Mon Sep 3 12:32:08 EDT 2007

Six aeronautical radio stations provide coverage of the six North Atlantic flight information regions:
    Bodo Radio (Norway)
    Gander Radio (Canada)
    Iceland Radio (Iceland)
    New York Radio (USA)
    Santa Maria Radio (Azores), and
    Shanwick Radio (Ireland)

Further detail is available at:
http://www.arinc.com/downloads/13393.pdf

The New York Radio transmitter site is in Riverhead, NY at 40 52 54 N,
72 38 15 W.  This is a small part of the historic RCA Riverhead
receiver station and the RCA Laboratories where Harold H Beverage did
developed the Beverage antenna, other directive receiving antennas, and diversity reception.

The New York Radio receiver site is in Southampton, NY at 40 55 15 N,
72 23 41 W.  This is also a historic site, the location of the HF
transmitter facilities of Federal Telegraph, later Mackay Radio, later
park of ITT.

The antennas at both Radio New York facilities are clearly visible on Google Earth.

73!
Frank
W3LPL