[TowerTalk] LMR400-PL259s

Steve Katz stevek at jmr.com
Tue Sep 4 13:09:01 EDT 2007

This isn't true.

The military specification for type PL-259, which is about a 60 year-old
specification now, does not allow for an undersized center pin that only
fits the #13 AWG center conductor of RG8/U or RG213/U.  Not at all.  Never
did, still doesn't.

RG8 "foam" types like Belden 8214 always had an #11 AWG center conductor,
which is already two steps larger than RG8-RG213.  Times FM8 always had a
#10 AWG center conductor, which is already three steps larger than
RG8-RG213, and FM-8's been on the market for 40 years.  The "new" cables
like 9913 (which came to market in about 1984) and LMR-400 (which is more
recent) have a #9.5 AWG center conductor that's only a few thousandths of an
inch larger than FM-8.

ALL PL-259's, if they are built correctly to the actual PL-259
specification, will accommodate LMR-400 without modification.  The actual
mechanical detail specification provides for it.

-WB2WIK/6