[TowerTalk] Insulator Placement Clarification

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 4 20:19:08 EDT 2007

jeremy-ca wrote:
> Place large ferrite beads over the close in guys. They will decouple
> similarly as when used over coax or small ones over transistor leads.
>
> The classic Antenna Manual spacing is fine.
>
> Carl
> KM1H

Hmmm. takes a fair number of those BIG (expensive) beads (and you've got
to figure out how to hold them in place), so unless you're trying to fix
an existing steel cable system, it might be cheaper to go synthetic. As
I recall, Phillystran is roughly 2x as expensive per foot (.90 vs
.45/ft) so on setup with 500 ft of guy cable, you're looking at $250 for
the guy material.  The big ferrites are in the $10 range, so you'd
wonder if 25 of them would do the job?  There are less expensive
synthetic guy cable materials too (the polyrod stuff, for instance).

An interesting tradeoff analysis...