[TowerTalk] rohn 45 foundation interpretation

Cqtestk4xs at aol.com Cqtestk4xs at aol.com
Thu Sep 6 14:09:49 EDT 2007

In a message dated 9/6/2007 4:49:56 P.M. Greenwich Standard Time,
k7awb at msn.com writes:

1. Do I  really use rebar for my CB2 hole?  If so, what are the lateral ties
shown?  Are they rebar or wire?  I presume they hold the four  vertical rebar
pieces rigid?  If that is there only purpose, could I not  just push the four
vertical pieces into the wet concrete afterwards, making  sure I got at least
3 inches below the concrete surface and did not come out  the bottom?

2. Since the drawing also covers the foundation for Rohn  25, I never heard
of anyone putting rebar into a 25 hole around this  area.  Could someone please
clarify this for me.

3. Below the 4  foot level bottom of the hole, how much more do I have to dig
to put gravel  for drainage?  I have a pile of 5/8" minus I use for filling
in the  driveway holes that I would use.

1.  I believe the rebar is necessary only if you mount it on a plate  with no
base of the 45 in the concrete.  Most guys do not do it that way  and most
guys do not use the rebar in the base.  I have never heard of the  base cracking
and failing in any of these instances.  Number 5 rebar is  pretty cheap and
you would only need one 20 foot piece to do the outside corners  if you want
the insurance.  Do not allow the rebar to protrude as it can  rust underground
and eventually corrode the rebar in the concrete....allowing it  to weaken at
that point

2.  Same story with 25.

3.  I believe the amount of gravel necessary is about three  inches.  In any
case, make sure the legs of the tower are all the way into  the gravel bed.
The purpose of the gravel is mainly to allow the legs to  drain.  If you have
heavy soil the legs can clog and cause some major  deterioration from rust in a
hurry.  Oh, by the way, be sure the legs of  the tower are not plugged before
you put it in the hole.  If you have stood  the tower on end it can happen,
especially if you have clay soil.

I hope this helps.  Now back to putting the rest of the steel in my  base for
my Rohn 55.

Bill K4XS/KH7XS