[TowerTalk] putting a reflector below a 75 meter inverted

K4SAV RadioIR at charter.net
Sun Sep 9 11:30:09 EDT 2007

I think the 2.53(0.05 dB) number is a typo.  He doesn't even say which
antenna he is talking about in that paragraph.  Assuming it is the
Figure 4 graph, the gain difference, looking at his graph versus the
calculated gain of a dipole at 0.07 wavelengths, should be about 4.2 dB.

His article is missing some information.  He didn't describe what the
counterpoise was, and it makes a big difference.  The counterpoise could
be small, large, dense or not dense, and the results will be different
for all.

You could also just use a single wire for the reflector instead of a
counterpoise.  In that case, taking his example of Figure 4 and
translating the numbers to 3.6 MHz, the dipole is at 19.2 ft, and the
reflector is at 5.5 ft. then the gain without the reflector is 2.34 dBi
and with the right length reflector it is 6 dBi, assuming average ground
and no resistive losses.   The length of the reflector is somewhat
critical, just like designing a Yagi.  Get it the wrong length and no
gain, or gain in the reverse direction, and the gain varies with
frequency.  A large counterpoise could be made to look less frequency
dependent but that is a big effort.

In general for low antennas these reflectors (or counterpoise) just
decrease ground loss, so the gain goes up for all elevation angles.  It
doesn't change the take-off angle, the whole radiation lobe just becomes
a little larger.

Jerry, K4SAV