[TowerTalk] putting a reflector below a 75 meter inverted

Dennis OConnor ad4hk2004 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 10 13:22:09 EDT 2007

I have done some tests with a horizontal loop and putting a reflector underneath... Also, one year we had Field Day at my place and had an 80 meter horizontal loop at 35 feet with a reflector loop about a foot off the ground... Opening and closing the reflector loop had an impact on how well the guys felt the loop was getting out... Using the loop on 40 meters there was significant improvement with the reflector loop circuit closed...
  We need to remember that the reflector will partially screen the ground directly underneath from 'some' of the current flow... It will not measureably change ground induced current loss in the near field beyond the immediate areas under the reflector...
  The bottom line in my mind is that a reflector will help, it will not hurt... The degree of improvement is subject to many variables..

  denny / k8do