[TowerTalk] Lightning Advice

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Wed Sep 12 00:24:01 EDT 2007

>You mention a ground right at the tower and another grounded bulkhead
>at the house entrance. That sounds like two grounds to me. Why do you
>call one of them a Single Point Ground when there are clearly two?

Actually when looking at individual grounds I have a lot more than two.
There are 32 or 33 for the station and antennas, two for the electrical
entrance (two rods required here), one for the cable, one for the satellite
antenna, and one for the phone line,  but the Single Point Ground (SPG)  is
a concept that uses one single point as a reference for all of your
equipment. For my station that is the bulkhead where the coax enters the
house and all other grounds have a tie-in (phone, AC-mains, Satellite,
cable...) to this point. Idealy this point would be right at the house
entrance, but lot size, antenna location, the power company, and others
conspire to make this a difficult or impossible location for the SPG.

With the wiring layout here, I rarely disconnect anything including the
computers durring thunderstorms. So far I've not had any problems since
completing the new ground system.

Roger (K8RI)