[TowerTalk] Lightning in the Earth

Phil Camera kb9cry at comcast.net
Wed Sep 12 11:05:04 EDT 2007

lightning strike could easily travel through 50 yards of earth looking
to equalize the earth/air voltage difference even further, and your
equipment unfortunately, was in the way. I'm not saying it wasn't
"induction", just that simple conduction is an alternate possibility.

This is plausible, except that once the energy is down in the ground, I'm not sure how "far" it will conduct until it's dissipated.  Obviously would depend on the conductivity of the ground.

We do know from our Electricity 101 class, that electrical induction is a proven phenomena and if a large enough voltage is applied near a conductor, a current WILL be induced.