[TowerTalk] Lightning in the Earth

Randy randy at gte.net
Wed Sep 12 22:32:34 EDT 2007

I forget even what country it was in, but I've seen footage on TV of
lightning striking a
soccer field; there was a tiny puff of dirt or grass where, presumably,
the lightning bolt
actually hit the ground. IIRC one or more players died, but many of
them, a goodly number
of yards from the presumed "strike", were knocked down. Obviously,
that's no guarantee
that a strike's voltage isn't bigger than what's visible, or what's
damaged at the point of discharge,
and I suppose you could wonder whether the affected players might have
had voltage
induced into them rather than being shocked via the playing field, and
there are lots of
photographs of lightning with multiple "leaders" <is that the right term
here?> spiking off
of the main bolt, so maybe there was more than one fork of juice
affecting them all, but
I think it's more likely just juice flowing over the ground.
Even a brand-new, solid-copper 12' rod (or anything else) can only
dissipate X amount
of electricity, since the soil around it acts like the dielectric in a
capacitor; there's only
so-much room for electrons, and the rest have to go somewhere else, at
least for the tiny
fraction of a second occupied by the lightning event. I'm fairly certain
that this is the reasoning
behind separating ground rods by 2X their length, so the electrolytic
fields don't overlap
and waste ground rods.
So, it's not hard for me to envision the strike dissipating over poorly
conducting soil much like
the proverbial stream of liquid landing on a flat rock. Soil is often in
layers of different types....
so my mind's eye can picture a scenario where the lightning "sees" it
easier to go sideways rather
than downwards in the ground, depending on what's below the surface, how
well the
 (presumably very wet) surface layer conducts, etc.

73,
Randy
KZ4RV