[TowerTalk] #2 solid or stranded for tower leg grounds

John Elsik wa5zup at msn.com
Thu Sep 13 10:29:00 EDT 2007

I acquired 250' of #2 bare copper and 15 ground rods left over from a job at work.  So that is a start on what I am using for my ground system for a new LM-354HD  crank up tower installation.  Base is installed, waiting for the concrete to cure.  Tower is not here yet.
I have to get more wire and rods.  I have most of the exothermic one-shots, but of course, need more of them too.  I am pretty much committed to using #2 for everything.
The plan is to just pigtail up the #2, for now, to each tower leg.
I have a choice of either #2 tinned solid copper or #2 stranded for these pigtails.  The one-shots should work with either one by spec. At the moment, I am not sure how I will attach the fat #2 to the tower legs.  I was thinking of using stranded for that because it would be somewhat more flexible.
Is that a good idea, or should I just stay with the solid?
John wa5zup