[TowerTalk] no ground is better ?

Jay Schwisow jay at kt5e.us
Fri Sep 14 01:48:09 EDT 2007

Bill,

If lightning is travelling a mile or so on its way to ground does your
friend think that disconnected coax from the rig will stop the strike at
the end of the 259 or N connector?

Well I sure hope he not only disconnects but throws it outside...far far
away from the house.   What about the AC mains?   Taking a surge there
could not only hit your ham equipment (if not unplugged) but also tv,
computers, etc...The single copper wire out of the box into the ground
behind the house is inadequate.  These discussions are not about
tower/antenna grounding but about a complete home and shack ground system.

Does this same person have a very limited budget ?   Relative to other
things in the hobby (rigs, towers, antennas, etc..) a good ground system
is not  very expensive. However, it does NOT offer 100% protection.

Why did I do it?  One reason is that Colorado and where I live in
Colorado is one of the most lightning prone areas of the country.
According to NOAA, about 494,000 cloud to ground lightning flashes occur
in Colorado every year.  In addition, I am along the Palmer Divide which
is one of the worst areas for severe weather in the state. Disconnecting
is not an option - I would be off the air for 3-4 months.

How did I do it?  I did it close to commercial specs.   According to a
friend in the cellphone industry only 20 cell sites (out of about
500,000) are lost to lightning each year.

Jay - KT5E