[TowerTalk] exploding foundations

K4SAV RadioIR at charter.net
Fri Sep 14 12:44:15 EDT 2007

The article does say what the cause of this crack was.  Here is what
they said:

"A word of caution: A Ufer ground consisting solely of the tower
foundation is a bad idea. Lightning surges passing through the
foundation can vaporize water in the concrete and damage the foundation
through rapid expansion of steam. An example of this unfortunate event
is shown in Figure 4. This particular tower had no earth electrode
system, other than the leg foundations."

Jerry, K4SAV