[TowerTalk] Low elevation Falls/Senior Citizens

Pat Barthelow aa6eg at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 16 16:59:34 EDT 2007

Folks:

While working on my modest backyard tower today, I had the pleasure of
having a wonderful emergency room Nurse, of exceptional experience, helping
as ground crew.  Among other things, we talked about the dangers of falls
while working in the air, and I casually commented with a guess, that Susan,
(my RN ground crew) probably sees pretty regular fall injury admissions to
the emergency room.  Even if just off ladders, and at small fall distances.
Susan nodded somberly, and said "yes... and you know who we get most often
falling  from ladders, etc?  Senior Citizens who need to clean out their
roof gutters, and do it themselves, to try to save the cost of professionals
to do the work."   With their limited budgets, that is not surprising.  I
imagine a senior citizen's major fall from a ladder or roof is quite a
profound life changing event, even life and death, sometimes.
It may be the case that a number of TT members are/ or may know of service
groups  (Rotary Club, Lions, Kiwanis, etc) that might want to provide
services to senior citizens.   You might approach these service clubs, or
you yourself might want to volunteer to help out a senior citizen, avoid a
possibly life changing fall, doing home maintenance....You might save a life
or two.

All the Best, 73,
Pat Barthelow     aa6eg at hotmail.com
http://www.jamesburgdish.org
Subscribe: http://bambi.net/jamesburg.html
Jamesburg Earth Station  Moon Bounce Team