[TowerTalk] Lightning Strike - Post-strike analysis

Gene Smar ersmar at verizon.net
Tue Sep 18 21:04:16 EDT 2007

Joe:

     Sorry to hear of your excitement but glad nothing more serious happened.

     Here in the WDC area, Verizon (formerly Bell Atlantic Tel) has been shilling their FiOS service - fiber-based phone, internet and TV.  I signed up for all three earlier this year and can now report that the only conductors entering my QTH are from the power company (not likely to change to glass in my lifetime) and the tower coax and control cables.  I have Polyphasers on all tower cables, but nothing other than dumb luck protecting the power feed.

     I suppose I really ought to totally remove the copper twisted pairs left over from the telephone service so a neighborhood strike doesn't find its way into my basement.  Have to look for another round tuit, though.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F