[TowerTalk] Tower base question

Krishna Kanakasapapathi kkanakas at cisco.com
Wed Sep 19 11:31:38 EDT 2007

Hello all,
 I am in the process of installing an Aluma crankup. I have the permit on hand and am following the specs.
 My handi man is helping me with the work.

The tower has a "T" base plate. The Tower hinges to this plate. The "T" plate is expected to be fixed with
    5 screws in concrete.

 Here are the questions i have.
a) Does the Screws have to be attached to the rebar cage?
b) Is Zinc plated screw good( from home depot). I think not, since it has to be galvanized. The "T" plate is
   aluminum.
c) If the screws have to be attached to the rebar cage, i can see that the holes in the "T" plate to receive
   the screws do not align well with the rebar cage vertical members. This would mean that i would need
   some kind of a plates to hold the screw using bolt/nuts. At least 2 plates per screw to hold it.
d) The handiman is proposing to hold the rebar about 3 inches off the ground ( per spec) using 2x4 and then
  as the concrete is poured in, he wants to remove it. I am afraid of this proposal. I have seen other tower
  installation pictures where the entire rebar cage is held by 2x4 with nuts holding the screw all the way up
  from the "T" plate.

 Please let me know.

73's
Krish