[TowerTalk] Coper clad steel

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Mon Sep 24 21:22:41 EDT 2007

> DON'T  !!!!
>
> I made 2 BIG mistakes a while back in ENY...  the first was using Sears
> Aluminum electric fence wire....  It turned to a white powder after a few
> years.
> The 2nd was using galvanized fence wire...  Also cheap...  It turned to
> rust.
> In fact, The "copperweld" fence wire I used for beverages also rusted out
> and
> was nearly impossible to solder repair the inevitable fixes...

I use "CopperWeld" antenna wire for...antennas, but once the antenna is up
and tuned that's it.  After its been up a few weeks you'll never get solder
to stick to it again.  I use the material for strength. The copper plate is
so thin its difficult if not impossible to polish it to the point of being
able to solder as its bare steel before you get that far. Maybe in the "old
days" they had a thicker coat, I don't know. However if the stuff
deteoriates that fast in air, I'd sure not want to put it in the ground.

73

Roger (K8RI)